Pages

Friday, August 26, 2011

Vogue 1249–Mark & James (Badgley Mischka) Jumpsuit

 

Pattern Description: Misses’ Jumpsuit: Close-fitting (through bustline), partially interfaced, lined jumpsuit has back invisible zipper.

Rating: Average.

Pattern Sizing: This pattern comes I combinations AA(6-8-10-12) and EE(14-16-18-20). I cut on the 14.

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it? Yes, it does! The color is the same too.

Excuse the tan lines:DSCF2880

I am getting better and better with Vogue patterns. There was a point where I would just throw the whole project away because I was not happy with the final results.

On Aloe:DSCF2867

Were the instructions easy to follow? First of all, let me say that I was totally surprised with the instructions. A. They are VERY EASY to follow and, B. They are only a page and one column long. I was looking for the instructions to be three pages. Also, there are only seven pattern pieces.

***I would like to add that for pattern pieces 2, 3, and 4 you need to make three sets for each and interface two of the three sets. For pattern piece 1 cut three and interface only two. You can go ahead and sew all three sets the same in one sitting. The instructions have you to sew the lining later in the game.***

***Concerning the boning: Be sure to cut the ends just shorter than the length of the seams. If you cut them THE size of the seams you will NOT have a great looking garment. I had to go back in and trim the boning more because they hindered the lining from turning to the inside decently.***

Not quite right:DSCF2869Test still not quite right:Jumpsuit back long boning 

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern? I like that it was a jumpsuit. Hands down, I bought the pattern. And after seeing them made up by Erica B., I made up my mind to do this before the end of the summer. Then I saw Andrea post hers. I thought I’d better get moving. I also liked that it included boning insertions (something I have done only once and needed a little practice on). There is nothing to dislike. Mischka is a great designer!

It’s fully lined. DSCF2871

I actually prepared a waist-stay (that I recently learned about)but I didn’t put it in because this jumper is so stable it doesn’t need it. I might go back and put it in just for practice. I also was supposed to put in grosgrain ribbon as Erica B. had done, but I left it off too until I sew the next one. (Couldn’t figure when to attach it). I got all kind of different outcomes. I don’t have photos of those.

Fabric Used: Surprisingly, I used a slightly off white cotton shirting with just a bit of stretch. I could have used something with a little bit more stretch but I used what was in the stash. Erica recommends using a stretch and I must say however, I do know had I made the jumpsuit in a more stretchy fabric, it would be more confortable. (Not that it is not now) The lining is the same cotton shirting. I bought 6 yards of this for $1 at Hancock. Great find!

Front fitting #2 Love it with the black belt.

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made: I shortened the pant legs because I am not 5’6” instead I’m 5’3”. I made the ruffle on fold because…well, that’s what I wanted. Also, I had to take in the area just under the arms because the first…and second… time around I had so much space the bodice stood at least two to three inches from my chest. I went in the first time and took out 3/8 inch on each side and put it back together. It was still too big – even after I had pinned it out :/ I went BACK in and sewed a wedge (kind of like the gaposis fix) an inch wide on each side. That did it. It’s better but not perfect.

DSCF2868Back: won’t turn proper if boning isn’t shorter than the seam. Zipper pinned for fit.

Jumpsuit big chestInches away!

Wedge:DSCF2870

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others? Yes, I want to sew it again. I will surely get more practice on the invisible zipper and boning. My zipper isn’t all that invisible but it’s getting better each time I sew one. 

DSCF2872Zipper slipped stitched to lining.

I do have a stretch suiting somewhere in the stash and would like to use that and make it without the ruffle and wear it with a bolero. Yes, I recommend this pattern to anyone who likes it and can pull this look off.

Back: DSCF2881

Side:DSCF2883

My new shoes: $39.95 DSCF2884

Conclusion: I love my jumper and although my legs feel lost in the huge pant legs, I know it will quickly become a favorite of mine.
Necklace and earrings from Avon. Belt and bracelet from It’s Fashion.DSCF2882

Until Later, Schey.

9 comments:

Sheila said...

The jumpsuit looks great on you.

Bootzey said...

No matter what you say, its still cute on you.

Shawnta said...

Very cute!!!! I have eyed that pattern but I know those legs will not work for me. It looks really nice on you though.

Candice said...

This looks great on you, very cute!

Anonymous said...

...everything they said...and i LOVE the shoes!!!

Erica Bunker said...

Really cute! And the shoes are great!

Virginia's Daughter said...

I see you workin' it! Love it! What a great necklace too! And...these are the cutest white shoes I've seen ALL summer! Great job pulling the whole look together. Very nicely done!

Scheryka said...

Thank you, Everyone! *speechless*

touckea said...

hop over to here Louis Vuitton fake Bags web high end replica bags find out this here best replica bags online